2019 Mississauga Blackhawks Tournament
RULES AND REGULATIONS
TOURNAMENT SANCTION #5491
Rules are subject to revision/correction at the discretion of the Tournament Committee.
SOME IMPORTANT NOTES
TRAVEL TEAMS - Tournament Sanctioned Hotel Accommodations: As a condition of acceptance, travel teams will be required to register and stay at a Tournament approved hotel. See Hotels page for a list of sanctioned hotel locations.
This tournament will be conducted under the new, more rigorous, rule interpretations as speciﬁed by Hockey Canada and enforced by the GTHL. On-Ice Ofﬁcials are provided by the GTHL. Their rulings cannot be disputed or over-ruled by the Tournament.
All teams must register before their ﬁrst game, so please allow enough time, at least 60 minutes.
All players including afﬁliates should be registered on legitimate 2019-20 registration cards (OHF or equivalent). Cards or ofﬁcial roster sheets must be presented at registration time or when requested by the tournament committee.
Tournament permission forms should be obtained from your governing body and must be presented at time of registration.
Good luck to all!
FOLLOWING ARE A SET OF RULES & REGULATIONS
This tournament is sanctioned by Hockey Canada (HC) and the Greater Toronto Hockey League. SANCTION #: 5491
All tournament games are played under HC minor rules and tournament regulations.
Suspensions: Notice of all suspensions during the tournament will be forwarded (with a full report of the circumstances) to the players' regular league ofﬁcials. The tournament Rules/ Discipline Committee may require players and team staff to appear at hearings into these matters.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE OHF MINIMUM SUSPENSION LIST WILL BE USED IN THIS TOURNAMENT FOR ALL TEAMS.
2. Eligibility and Permission: Teams must be registered with HC or International afﬁliates (and/or their Provincial/State afﬁliates). Proof of registration must be available upon request. Participating teams must have a sanction permit or letter of permission to participate in the tournament from their HC or International afﬁliated branch.
3. Player eligibility: All players must have a valid HC/or equivalent player's card or roster sheet available for inspection by Tournament ofﬁcials. Team managers will submit a team list of players eligible to play to Tournament ofﬁcials and will have the necessary supporting documentation (valid HC cards or roster sheets) available for examination by Tournament ofﬁcials at the time of initial registration. This includes AP’s. No player will be permitted to compete If not on an approved and ofﬁcial roster sheet or card.
4. Composition of teams: Each team may bring a roster of up to 20 properly registered players, including afﬁliates. Only eighteen (18) skaters and an additional two(2) goaltenders are permitted to dress for any game.
5. Team Colours: Sweater changes (if necessary) will be decided by the toss of a coin. It is preferable for teams to have two contrasting sets of sweaters.
6. Home/Visiting Teams: Home/Visiting teams are pre-determined for round robin play. For the play-off round, the home team may be decided by the toss of a coin.
7. Mandatory Equipment: Helmets, throat guards, and face masks are compulsory for all players- Face masks and helmets, as approved by HC (Canada), HECC (USA) and IIHF (International) must be worn during this tournament.
8. Dressing Rooms: Only players, team ofﬁcials named on the team list and Tournament ofﬁcials will be permitted in team dressing rooms.
9. Game Sheets: The game sheet must be completed by both teams twenty (20) minutes prior to game time. Note that game sheets are prepared manually.
10. Game Ofﬁcials: All referees and Linemen ofﬁciating in the tournament will be qualiﬁed and registered by HC. Minor ofﬁcials will be assigned by the tournament.
11. Time and Conditions of Play: Warm-up time will be determined by the referee in consideration of available time. Teams not ready to start play at the scheduled time and/or when the referee calls the players to center ice for the initial face off will be subject to a delay of game penalty and possible forfeit of the game.
12. Game Timing:
Minor Atom to Atom 10 - 10 - 12 Stop time.
Minor Peewee to Peewee 10 - 12 - 12 Stop time.
Minor Bantam to Bantam 12 - 12 - 12 Stop time.
Minor Midget to Midget 12 - 12 - 15 Stop time.
Round Robin: Nil
Quarter Finals: One ﬁve minute stop time period, 3 skaters plus goaltender, change ends. Sudden victory. Shoot-out if necessary.
Semi-Finals: One ten minute stop time period, 3 skaters plus goaltender, change ends. Sudden victory. Shoot-out if necessary.
Finals: Stop time sudden victory, Ten minute periods until a goal is scored, 3 skaters plus goaltender, change ends each period.
Shoot-Out: Select three players per team. Teams shoot alternately and all three shoot. If no winner, continue in sets of one, using different players. Goalies must be those who were last used in overtime. Flip of coin decides which team shoots ﬁrst. Continue rotation in same order until there is a winner. If one team completes its player rotation before the other because it has fewer players, without a winner, both teams will be allowed to revert to their starting sequence and to repeat that sequence.
14. Mercy Rule: Please note that if the third period begins with a ﬁve goal lead by either team, or if either team achieves a ﬁve goal lead during the period, that period or the remainder of that period will be played in running time, without stopping the clock. If the score gets to a 3 goal difference the time will become stop time again.
15. Body Checking: This is a AA tournament . “A’ teams will only be accepted if their jurisdiction has body checking rules similar to the GTHL AA, where body checking is permitted for all age groups except Minor Atom (10), Atom ( 09), Minor Peewee ( 08) and Peewee (07).
16. Early Game Starts: Games may start earlier than the advertised time if both coaching staffs agree. No game will start more than 15 minutes early.
17. Timeouts: Each team is entitled to one 30 second timeout per game in the playoffs. No timeouts are allowed in the round robin.
Please read the rules carefully for your age division. For all age divisions, points will be assembled as follows:
WIN - 2 POINTS • TIE - 1 POINT • LOSS - 0 POINTS
Each team is guaranteed 4 games.
For all age divisions, ties in standings will be resolved using the following tie breaker rules:
1. The winner of the game between the two tied teams, or
2. If that game ended in a tie, or the teams did not play each other, the team with the better record of goals for and against (goals for divided by goals against, with the higher percentage winning), or
3. If there remains a tie, the team that scores the ﬁrst goal In the game between the two tied teams.
4. In the event of a tie among three (or more) teams, group standings will be determined by the best record of goals for vs. goals against, as per (2) above, and if a tie still exists, then the provisions of section (1) and (3) above, In that order, will be applied,
5. If all of the above result in a continuing tie, the standing will be resolved by the ﬂip of a coin.
These rules will be applicable to all relevant placings (i.e. ﬁrst vs. second vs. third vs. fourth).
MINOR BANTAM DIVISION
Groups A and B
Top 3 teams in each group make the playoffs.
The 1st place teams in Group A and Group B get a bye to the semi- finals on Sunday.
The 2nd place team in Group A plays the 3rd place team in Group B and the 3rd place team in Group A plays the 2nd place team in Group B, in the Quarter Finals on Saturday night. Winners will advance to the semi- finals, avoiding teams previously played in the round robin. If teams have not previously played each other, seeding will be used from round robin standings
In the event of a 3 team tie, if a team has played both teams and has won they will take the higher seed; If not, revert back to previous tie breaker rule #4
ALL DIVISIONS (EXCLUDING MINOR BANTAM AND MINOR MIDGET)
SEMI FINALS will be 1ST vs 4th AND 2ND vs 3RD.
2ND VS 3RD will have the earlier time slot.
SEMI FINALS- 1ST in Group A vs 2nd in Group B, 1st in Group B vs 2nd in Group A
MISSISSAUGA BLACKHAWKS TOURNAMENT
THE SCHEDULE SHOULD BE REGARDED AS FINAL.
FOR YOUR FIRST GAME, YOU SHOULD ARRIVE FOR REGISTRATION AT LEAST ONE HOUR BEFORE GAME TIME. BE REMINDED THAT WE ARE USING TWO LOCATIONS ON FRIDAY AND SATURDAY AND SUNDAY. DIRECTIONS TO EACH RINK ARE ON THE WEB SITE.
PLEASE REMEMBER TO EMAIL OR BRING:
· YOUR TOURNAMENT APPROVAL/TRAVEL PERMIT
· APPROVED ROSTER SHEETS FOR ALL YOUR PLAYERS. THOSE PLAYERS WITHOUT PROOF OF REGISTRATION CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO PLAY.
· ALL PLAYERS WILL BE VERIFIED AS LEGITIMATE BEFORE THEIR FIRST GAME BY COMPARING THE GAME SHEET TO THE OFFICIAL ROSTER SHEET. IF YOU ARE USING CALL-UPS, YOU MUST HAVE THE ROSTER FROM THEIR TEAM AS WELL.
· TEAMS USING DIFFERENT PLAYERS THAN THOSE LISTED ON THE GAME SHEET WILL BE SUBJECT TO FULL SANCTIONS.
TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE, BRING EXTRA COPIES EVEN THOUGH YOU MAY HAVE
PRE-SUBMITTED THEM. ALL PLAYERS MUST BE CHECKED IN BEFORE YOUR FIRST GAME.
YOU WILL REGISTER AT THE FIRST RINK YOU PLAY ON.
FOR TRAVEL TEAMS, PLEASE SEND US YOUR DESTINATION HOTEL AND ADDRESS AS SOON AS AVAILABLE, PLUS A SPECIFIC CELL PHONE NUMBER WE CAN USE TO CONTACT YOU DURING THE TOURNAMENT.
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE AWARDING MVP AWARDS AT EVERY GAME. THE AWARD WILL BE GIVEN TO EACH TEAM WHEN YOU PICK UP THE GAME SHEET. THE COACHING STAFF FOR EACH TEAM ARE ASKED TO PICK THE GAME MVP FOR THE OPPOSING TEAM. PLEASE ADVISE THE OPPOSING COACHES OF YOUR SELECTION AT THE END OF EACH GAME. COACHES THEN PRESENT THE AWARD IN YOUR POSSESSION TO YOUR OWN PLAYER.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO WELCOMING YOU AND WISH EVERYONE
GOOD LUCK AND A REWARDING TOURNAMENT.
Mississauga Blackhawks Hockey Tournament
Special Tournament Rules
MINOR ATOM AND ATOM 10-10-12 STOP TIME
MINOR PEEWEE AND PEEWEE 10-12-12 STOP TIME
MINOR BANTAM AND BANTAM 12-12-12 STOP TIME
MINOR MIDGET, MIDGET, MIDGET JUNIOR 12-12-15 STOP TIME
NO DRESSING ROOM BREAKS BETWEEN PERIODS
IF THE THIRD PERIOD BEGINS WITH A FIVE GOAL LEAD BY EITHER TEAM, THAT PERIOD WILL BE PLAYED IN RUNNING TIME WITHOUT STOPPING THE CLOCK. TIME WILL CONTINUE TO RUN THROUGHOUT THE PERIOD REGARDLESS OF FURTHER SCORING CHANGES.
THIS RULE WILL NOT APPLY IN QUARTER FINALS, SEMI FINALS OR FINALS.
THERE ARE NO TIME-OUTS ALLOWED IN THE ROUND ROBIN.
EACH TEAM IS ALLOWED ONE 30 SECOND TIME-OUT PER GAME IN THE PLAYOFFS.
OVERTIME – PLAYOFFS ONLY
ONE 5 MINUTE STOP TIME PERIOD. SUDDEN VICTORY. SHOOT-OUT IF NECESSARY.
3 SKATERS PLUS GOALIE. CHANGE ENDS.
ONE TEN MINUTE STOP TIME SUDDEN VICTORY, SHOOT OUT IF NECESSARY.
3 SKATERS PLUS GOALIE. CHANGE ENDS.
STOP TIME SUDDEN VICTORY. TEN MINUTE PERIODS UNTIL A GOAL IS SCORED.
3 SKATERS PLUS A GOALIE. CHANGE ENDS EACH PERIOD.
SELECT 3 PLAYERS PER TEAM.
ALL 3 SHOOT, IF NO WINNER, CONTINUE IN SETS OF 1 USING DIFFERENT PLAYERS. WHEN ONE TEAM HAS MORE PLAYERS THAN THE OTHER, THE TEAM WITH MORE PLAYERS MAY START BACK AT THE TOP OF THE SHOOTERS LIST WHEN THE OTHER TEAM DOES SO, AND WILL NOT NEED TO HAVE ALL PLAYERS SHOOT.
GOALIES MUST BE THOSE WHO LAST PLAYED IN OVER TIME. FLIP OF COIN DECIDES WHICH TEAM SHOOTS FIRST.
EARLY GAME STARTS
GAMES MAY START EARLIER THAN THE ADVERTISED TIME IF BOTH COACHING STAFFS AGREE.
NO GAME MAY START MORE THAN 15 MINUTES EARLY.
OHF MINIMUM SUSPENSION LIST APPLIES – NOT GTHL.